Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The other migration: STSADM to PowerShell

So, as everyone and their brother knows, while STSADM is still technically available in SP2010, it's deprecated and the general advice is to pretend it doesn't exist anymore. Fair enough, PowerShell purports to give us plenty of power to make our lives better and easier. I haven't done any serious learning with PS yet, but I've had to use it in a couple different ways during the course of this SP2010 migration.

So, that said, looks like it still needs a bit of tweaking:
This is an error message I received because I was re-adding a solution too quickly. I'm uploading the solution on my WFE, but doing deployment/retraction in Central Admin on the application server, and I'll receive the above unfriendly red text whenever I try to upload a solution that's in the middle of removal from the farm. 

Add-SPSolution : An object in the SharePoint administrative framework, "SPSolutionLanguagePack Name=0", depends on other objects which do not exist.  Ensure that all of the objects dependencies are created and retry this operation.
At line:1 char:15
+ Add-SPSolution <<<<  D:\My.New.Column.wsp
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...dletAddSolution:SPCmdletAddSolution) [Add-SPSolution], A
   rgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletAddSolution


Awfully cryptic, but at least it didn't take long to figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment