Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Webparts and STSDEV

I'm pretty used to doing 2007 development with STSDev and I've gotten really comfortable with it. However, one of the things I haven't built yet, amazingly enough, is a webpart.

So, last week, I was trying to find a world clock webpart that would properly observe DST where applicable. Amazingly, only one I was able to find does, but it sources external Flash content as part of its rendering. Instead, I decided to get the CKS release of the Bamboo World Clock and Weather webpart and put proper DST support within.

The code itself is...amusing to say the least. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was intentional to have the main namespace "CKS.Bamboo.WorldCockAndWeather".

At any rate, the CKS project makes a solution, but it's not feature-activated. STSDev has support for webpart-based projects, but crashes when parsing ClassResources. So, in my infinite wisdom OCD, I'm moving the Bamboo code into a STSDev project, and now I find myself modifying the source of STSDev to incorporate support for copying ClassResources into the Manifest, and proper storage of the data within the DDF.

2010 can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment